Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant



My goal was to always make cupcakes for E.'s Lego Party. That was until I saw dozens of cakes online and became inspired. However, I had never made a cake out of fondant before. Most years, I order a cake from the store, but after finding a recipe for marshmallow fondant with many good reviews, I figured I would give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that I resort back to my cupcake plan.

Marshmallow Fondant


  • 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided

Directions

Grease all bowls and utensils with Crisco before starting.



I even greased my dough hook and mixing bowl.



Place the marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows.



Stir in vanilla extract and add coloring to the hot marshmallows. Stir until desired color is achieved.



Add a cup of powdered sugar to the mixing bowl.



Pour the marshmallow mixture into the mixing bowl and slowly beat using the dough hook.



Add powered sugar, one cup at a time until the dough is no longer sticky and a bit stiff. Reserve some powdered sugar for kneading.



Rub your hands thoroughly with Crisco and grease the counter with more Crisco. Remove the dough and begin kneading. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.



Perfect shade of blue?

Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let sit over night to harden. To use, roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.



A few more batches... You could just make white fondant and add coloring afterward, but I've read, it is more work to knead the color afterward. Therefore, I made 4 batches of fondant. 3 of the batches I quartered the recipe and one batch, I halved the recipe. Half the recipe was enough to cover my 9 inch 2 layered cake with fondant to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails